Saturday, May 29, 2010

Dolly's ninth entry; or, when did the bananas come into play?

Erin just woke up. It's 9 in the evening, and she just woke up. D: I swear, I don't think she's human. I think she's secretly a vampire; she doesn't need to eat, or drink, or go to the bathroom. Just sleep all day. I wonder when the last time was that she saw sunlight?

I exaggerate. She just sleeps a lot.

I suppose it's understandable, though. She didn't go to sleep until like noon. We were both up past five this morning, but I fell asleep soon after that and apparently, she didn't. I woke up at 11, showered, and when I came back, she was asleep. D:

Last night was pretty awesome though. We were hungry, so we went to Hogsmeade Burgers and Fries, then to the theatre to see Shutter Island. It's one of those awesome theatres that show movies that aren't in theatres anymore but aren't released on DVD yet, and for only $1. By the way, Shutter Island was incredible. I wasn't expecting very much, and I was blown away. Erin sort of ruined part of it for me by comparing Leo to Sirius and the island to Azkaban. . . well, not ruined so much as enhanced.

After being thoroughly made to feel insane by Leo and his crew, we stopped by the convenience store to get some soda, and Erin saw a package of cake mix and pretty much decided she wanted cupcakes. Not one to refuse cupcakes, I acquiesced, and we got French vanilla cake and icing and cupcake pan liners, and some veggie oil. Silly me, I thought she had the tools to make cupcakes back at the Nest. . .

I was mistaken. Once we returned (and after I'd had a chance to chat on Skype with Helene, who ended up watching me bake from my computer's perch on the table), Erin started fussing at me to get started making the cupcakes, so I began trying to gather the things I'd need.

My first obstacle: there wasn't a bowl in the whole apartment. Well, there were cereal bowls, but they were all dirty and way too small.

Solution: Erin grabbed a colander and lined it with a plastic bag and bade me make cupcakes in it. Dubious, I complied. The fork I had to stir with (no mixer, no spoon big enough) ripped the bag and it started leaking.

I had to add oil. I asked where the measuring cups were. I was met with a laugh and "what measuring cups?".

After a hunt through the apartment to find any container that would have its volume printed somewhere on it, we emerged with small plastic cups that said they were 7oz. We researched (yes, we had to research) and found out that 8oz is a cup. Not quite focused, I just filled the cup with oil and dumped it into the cake mix. . . and then realized that I'd just put a quarter cup more oil than necessary. So, the only logical course of action to be taken was to use the cup to dip out what I thought was a quarter cup of oil into a plastic bag. Erin was flailing about and cursing me, as usual.

When I finally got it all mixed, I had to spoon the rather thin batter into cupcake tins using teaspoons; the batter got eeeeverywhere.

I think I'll stop narrating now and just show pictures. . . they speak louder than words, right?

Photobucket

That's the inside of the tent that Erin and I sat under at the burger place. Do those colors look familiar? Perhaps Slytherin and Hufflepuff?

Photobucket

The colander. Enough said.

Photobucket

Helene watched and made fun of me.

Photobucket

Catastrophe.

Photobucket

the cupcake tin. . .

Photobucket

We began to experiment. . .

Photobucket

Cupcakes. There's a banana slice on one. . . they tasted better that way.

Photobucket

Yeah. . .

Photobucket

Bananas. Erin decided to make a banana wall, so that we could fill half of the pan with the choco mess and make it not crepe-thin. . .

Photobucket

The banana wall, sort of.

Photobucket

In the spirit of experimentation, I decided to put some English Breakfast in one of the cupcakes. . .

Photobucket

Instead of the wall, she just decided to spread them out. . . and add two more bananas.

Photobucket

and then we covered it in the choco mess.

Photobucket

After it was baked. . . we couldn't get it out of the pan.

Photobucket

It's uhm. . . yeah.

Photobucket

Erin tasting it. . . she swears it's edible. I don't believe her.

Photobucket

Finally, done.



The kitchen is still full of dishes. I wonder how long it'll stay that way. . .

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God!!! I laughed my butt off! This was fun-nay!
    I don't believe it was edible nor would I eat it. Then again, bananas make me sick to my stomach. Even the smell gets me...D:
    That sounds like quite the night!

    ReplyDelete