Saturday, May 15, 2010

Dolly's first post; or, there's a hedgehog in my bed.

Hello, dear readers. Or, rather, lack thereof thus far. I'm sure I don't have readers yet, but I certainly hope I will, since a bit of change from AdSense would really come in handy right about now.
I recently moved into my dad's basement. . . which at first sounds really sad, doesn't it? BUT. It's rent free, and I have the whole floor to myself. Which, admittedly, is only one room and a laundry room, but it could be worse. I'm jobless, so a rent-free place is totally ideal, at the very least until next spring, when I start at U of X again.
I'm technically a junior right now, but I'm taking next semester off to get my head straight, so I'm still sort of counting myself a sophomore, at least until I turn in the "withdraw from U of X for a semester" forms.
I got more than a little tired of calling my new place my "basement". Not only does it sound a little depressing, but I felt creepy inviting people to come stay for a few days in my basement.
Therefore, I recently christened my new space "the Burrow". The more nerdy readers might immediately recognize the reference, but let me first outline what the name is not.
When I first told my parents about my new name, it was in person, so they couldn't see the spelling. My dad's first thought was that I meant "borough", or small town. My mom's first thought was "burro", or donkey.
Neither of those are correct.
The more discerning [read: obsessive fan] reader would correctly guess that my little home was named after the Weasley's little home of the same name. While I'm not a Weasley, nor do I particularly want to be a Weasley, the name evokes some sort of warmth, happiness and coziness. Also, when I hear the word "burrow", I think of a little animal making its home under the ground, which also works for my place, given that it's a basement. Add that to the fact that I'm a Hufflepuff and our Hogwarts common room is in the dungeons and it's a perfect name.

I have a certain Slytherin friend, Erin. Theoretically, we're natural enemies, right? Well, Slytherins are the natural enemies of Hufflepuffs, but Hufflepuffs aren't natural enemies at all, I think. Anyways, I'd say we're pretty good friends, we share a lot of the same interests, and we're both nerds, in the best possible ways. I got a text from her the other day (she's Snape in my phone, it's infinitely amusing to get text messages from Snape, especially when they involve dewing and needlework) asking if she could spend a few days with me. Of course I said yes. I got the opportunity to show o- er, I mean, have someone enjoy the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes I'd made a few days ago as much as I did, and I also got to cook for her. I love cooking for people.
OH. The hedgehog tie in. Erin's name is Erin Aceous. Erinaceous means "hedgehog like". Erin's favorite animal is a hedgie, and she was in my bed.

She left one morning and then texted me, informing me that she's just found an apartment in my favorite part of town. She named it "the Nest", and the Burrow couldn't be happier about it; he has a new best friend.
I think I've rambled enough about the Burrow and his friends for now. There's certain to be more about him and Erin and her abode soon; I'm hopefully visiting the Nest this coming week.

Next time, possibly; my Hufflepuffian struggle with my love for a certain Slytherin boy.

1 comment:

  1. :D I love it. It's perfect - so very you! And blogs are wonderful. I like to read them when I'm huddled up in my nest like the hedgehog I am. You get an erinaceous thumbs up! ... or claw.

    ReplyDelete